Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rising from the ashes of memory

I don't know how long it's been gone. Might have been a million hundred years ago. Just didn't notice. No, impossible. Of course I noticed back then, whenever. Surely you remember it. It looked like this:










Ah-ha! "The Norm"


Quit playing, you do remember this. At least I do. It was a staple of my youth, when the comics were the paper. One of my favorites. Probably started reading it around 4th or 5th grade.










Sure it was funny, but I really gravitated toward the characters themselves. And looking back, my reasons are for-real-creepy. Take Norm. He was awesome, the guy I wanted to be someday. His hair was cool (I guess I thought that), his turtleneck was cool (I dug those, except only mock turtlenecks cause real ones actually made me choke and gag), he did cool stuff (played basketball at least once). Can't elaborate, as the memories are fuzzy, but I honestly remember the feeling.










Weirder - and for-real-creepier - I had a big time crush on Reine, his girlfriend/eventual wife (sorry to spoil it if you planned to go back and read the archives from day one). Who knows why a cartoon character made such an impression on a 5th grader. But everything from hair to face to personality was a mathematical forumula for "perfect" to my mind. And I never even knew how to pronounce "Reine". Anyway, apologies, this part is more disturbing than expected.









Have to mention the best friend too. His name was Ford. Ford was always my favorite car company. ........ Guess that's probably it, that's what did it. He was cool too though.

Well it was there for a long while, just another part of everyday life. I tried to see if it's still kicking, but it looks like maybe just reruns on GoComics. Even so I think it'd be worth reading some again. Just check out that three strip series. Any human who has experienced something remotely resembling a relationship can get that. And I can ask any of them to explain it to me!



BTW (Beholder, some few more Thoughts, please Wait a minute longer. Not what you thought.): This came out of nowhere. I was actually going to mention "The Family Circus," but since I'm looking for stuff to be posted regularly, it'll be part of a series on comics. No kidding.


4 comments:

troy poorman said...

ok you're weird, but i already knew that, so all of that stuff didn't really surprise me at all.
But I don't even remember reading the comics when i was that age. Well... I did rent "Garfield" and "Calvin and Hobs" books from the library but that was about it back then.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Random, but do you have a copy of How Deep the Father's Love for Us without those "How high, how wide" passages? (Something other than the one we have at church.) We're looking for a copy for our wedding.

Oh, and can you text message me? I had to get a replacement phone, and I lost all of my numbers. :(

Ben said...

EXCELLENT!

...I love comics.

My faves are Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine. :)